Compare Grammar Translation and Direct Method
1. Teachers point out the grammar rules such
1. Teachers give students some
1. In Grammar Translation,
as S. O. Adv. V. Students remember the
sentences which have the same
teachers use deductive ways to
rules and use them to realize some similar
help students remember rules.
Students will find the similar rules
In Direct Method, teachers use
inductive ways to make students
understanding grammatical structure of
2. Students learn language by oral and
language. Teachers are using grammatical
aural repetition and imitation. In short,
2. Grammar translation doesn’t
pattern with certain practical logic as the
students tend to pick up language with
require students’ ability of
foundation of teaching technique.
circulating practice no matter in
understanding in language
simple physical response or inner
comprehension in whole, which
means it doesn’t provide students
2. Students absorb language by
3. Non-native-speakingTeachers can use their mother tongue as
the tool to translate the target langue
a complete set lesson of language
learning. On the other hand, The
direct method required students
Students can learn target language via
listening, speaking writing and
their native language by logical
reading ability. Students learning
via the direct method, have got to
accomplish holistic field in
1. Teachers usually stand on the stage to
1. Teachers focus on pronunciation so
1. In Grammar Translation,
explain. Students individually listen to
they usually ask students speak for
teacher’s lecture and seldom speak.
student-student have little
Because students have chances to talk
interaction. However, there is
translation doesn’t cost too much time.
and speak, they might discuss with
more interaction in Direct
Thus, teachers can use a “recyclable”:
teaching pattern to teach students.
2. The relationship between teachers
2. In terms of motivation and
2. Preparation for teachers in Grammar
3. Students are not requested to practice
and students is getting closer and more interest that students have earned
language orally so that they make a good
connected, for the more teaching
in both methods, the direct
use of logical thinking in grammatical
activities they launch the more
method relatively provides
structure of language. Sooner or later, they bounded they are.
start translating language with their
3. Preparation for both teacher and
3. Preparation in grammar
students cost more time and energy;
translation method tends to cost
thus both teachers and students are
more time than the direct method.
4. Grammar translation is based on language
sentence structure; thus it tends to be lame
able to improve themselves in teaching 4. Teachers are likely using a
and tedious to learners who are not
familiar with language.
same teaching plan for good by
grammar translation method.
Varity of teaching technique is
The ways which 1. Students might feel boring in the class if student’s
students are not interested in English.
1. Students can have more interaction 1. In Grammar translation, with teachers and get feedback
students are usually lack of
2. It is likely that students don’t pay too
much attention on self-study, for
grammatical pattern usually limits...
Please join StudyMode to read the full document